Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday: Family Dinners

Today on GMA, Robin Roberts interviewed Stephanie Hirsch, the author of Mother Nurture a book about how parents of successful people raised their kids. The one common thread was family dinners. Growing up that was the one constant at our house, we always ate at 6-6:30 and were expected to be home for supper. It was the time we talked about "what we learned" today and to find out what how we were doing. I think my brother and I turned out fairly well. We both got into very good colleges, well him a little better, I mean, I can't top Princeton. Sure I'm no Steven Spielberg, but my family is very important to me. I try to do family dinner at our house. Sometimes it doesn't always happen since J doesn't have set work hours, but Peanut Buttter and I will sit together and eat dinner and the boy will eat with us if he's at our house. I think it is a good time to talk and have family time, since is about the only time we have it. Everyone goes in their own directions after that. I going to hope that even with our busy schedules we will sit down as a family and have dinner the majority of the time.
Are family dinners important in your house? Do you think they make a difference?

9 comments:

K.M.L said...

When we were growing up, we didn't have too many family dinners because we were all running around going to practices or games or plays or things at school. Looking bad, it wasn't to bad and we turned out okay. We had those conversations during those car rides! I do think it is important to have family dinners and unwind from the day and talk about the highs and the lows. Great post! :)

Michelle said...

My mom almost always had family dinners for us. Unfortunately, I think Jenna has sat down at the table for dinner once in her life. It should be more of a priority, I know.

April said...

We always ate together as a family when I was growing up. My parents didn't cook much, but we always went out together. I was expected to be home for dinner if I wasn't at a friends.

Michelle Leigh said...

Growing up, we always had dinner together. It just was the norm for us. I guess I never thought of it as being abnormal, but as I get older I know of so many people who don't eat as a family. Now, we have dinner every night as a family. I know my kids are young, but they will be learning very young to value this time as a family. No tv, nothing. Just eating and talking as a family. Great post Robin, I think more people should make this a priority. It has been proven to instill positive values in children.

Anonymous said...

Growing up, we always had family dinners. It wasn't even a thought NOT to have one. I definitely plan on contiuing that tradition when D and I have children. And even now, with just him and I we always have dinner together. Granted half the time it's in front of the tv, LOL..

jessica said...

unfortunately, our schedules don't allow us to eat dinner consistently as a family. but growing up we were ALWAYS at the dinner table together. i'd like that for my family. i'd also like to be better at cooking, ha ha!

KG said...

We always had family dinners in my house . . . and I went to Duke.

But I really sympathize with people who can't do it - shuttling from working late to soccer practice to picking up another kid at daycare . . . it ain't easy!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

We always ate dinner together as a family, 6:30pm...it was very important. E and I almost always eat together too, unless we know in advance that the other has plans.

Zoe said...

i think family dinners are very important. we don't do it as often as we should. it's really hard with mark on 2nd shift.