Friday, July 4, 2008

Photostory Friday

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


FEARLESS


This is a photo of my daughter, @ about 20 months, that I took on out first official trip to the park. She had been on swings before, but this was her first chance to go on the slide and do her favorite thing-climb. J and I both have come to realize that this girl is fearless. She will not let anything get in her way if she wants to get somewhere. She has the smarts so push thing over to climb up on, she will flip over rubbermaid totes and climb up on those, and she seems to have super human strength in her arms to be able to pull herself up on to anything.
While we were at the park, I thought nothing of this little apparatus, I figured she wouldn't attempt it, that she wasn't even big enough should she want to try. Boy, was I wrong. She took on each beam with the precision of a skilled climber. Had I not been too worried about her cracking her skull, she was going to attempt to stand on the top one to walk over to the platform. She's not quite steady enough for that one.
I think it is great that she is fearless, she is the total opposite of her brother in this regard. I just hope as she grows up she will find kicks doing adventurous things: gymnastics, snowboarding, rock climbing. I hope she is like my brother in this department or like Shawn White, who I had seen a story on about his fearlessness and how snowboarding fills that outlet. I hope she won't need something else to test her limits.

19 comments:

Chris said...

This is why our hair starts to go gray in our twenties. Aren't kids great? There's that fine line between protecting them and holding them back.

Unknown said...

She is a little daredevil! Kinda unusual for a girl. When my youngest (son) was a little over a year old he climbed one of those metal cage things. I was talking to my mom and looked up, saw him nearly at the top and just took off running. I got to him before he fell but I was scared to death.

Your photo made me think of that day even though I have no photos of our incident.

Thanx!

tiarastantrums said...

cute cute cute - theydon't try to give us heart attacks do they??

Alicia said...

"This all sounds waaaaay too close to home", she said as she pulled her toddler (who had seemingly 13 very strong arms) off of the table for the fifth time that day.

Jientje said...

They grow up so quick don't they, and somehow we never think they're capable of ... ( whatever) until they go ahead and do it!
She's one hell of a daredevil, she is!

Maggie May said...

That's just the beginning of all the worry! But we survive it!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

That is so like my son as well! Man is she cute! Happy 4th!

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Aww! What an awesome picture. She's adorable!!! I will be utterly terrified when my little girl (who is 18 months) starts to do things like that.

The Sports Mama said...

My youngest son is such a daredevil, he is constantly developing new stunts for his bike and his skateboard. I can't even hope he'll outgrow it, since Tony Hawk is my age!

I'd rather they be brave than scared of ever trying anything, though.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Scares one to death when the little one tests her/his wings!

Cecily R said...

She's fearless and adorable! What a combination!

My six year old was like that as a little one and her sister seems to be following in her foot steps. At 13 months she is already climbing on the table and scaling cupboards.

Great PSF entry (as always)! Hope you had a great 4th!

TL said...

Wow! All 3 of my boys are little daredevils and I swear one of them tries to give me a heart attack every day! :)

Anonymous said...

it's amazing how kids don't have much fear. they're willing to just plunge head first into the unknown... it can be completely nerve rattling huh!

Julie said...

I remember those days at the park standing 2 inches away from Emily because she had no fears.

She is so cute!

scrappysue said...

what a great waterfront park!

Bren said...

What a cutie! My little guy is fearless as well.

Amy said...

What a little dare-devel (a cute one though!!!) I used to be so nervous when my boys were little at the park. Now I am like that with the T-man!

Anonymous said...

And that's why I like kids. They do things because they want to and because it's fun.

Really, what other reason do you need?

Casey's trio said...

i think it is so funny how little ones have no fear! My girls are total monkeys also.