Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday: Voting

I cannot believe what this political season has become. I have never felt so much division in my life. I don't get why it has to be a mudslinging free for all, but I do believe it is my duty to get on out there and vote. There was a time when women did not have the right to vote. Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B Anthony thought that women should have the right to vote and strove for it for most of their lives. Anthony was even arrested for trying to vote in 1872. They never saw it in their lifetimes. Carrie Chapman Catt took over the presidency of the American Woman's Suffrage Association after Anthony retired and after a brief break to take care of her ailing husband she came back and brought the cause to victory in 1919. Women like this fought for almost 80 years for the right to vote.

If there is one thing you can do is read up a little on the canidates and take a little time out next Tuesday and vote.

Your one vote does matter.

No comments: