Saturday, November 15, 2008

How's that Workin' for Ya

As much as Dr. Phil annoys me, this phrase popped into my head after trying to put Peanut Butter down tonight. She screams every night when we put her down. I am at my wits end here. I cannot keep doing this. I whole heartedly believed that crying it out was the way we had to go. I tried laying across from her for hours, she at one point slept in our bed for months. But we have been crying it out for way longer than I like, even with the same routine practically every night. I would like to move her out of her crib and into her twin bed. I believe a whole new bedtime routine is in order and since I start some vacation time on Tuesday, I might try this Monday night. I can lay there and not worry about getting sleep myself since I won't have to be up at the crack of dawn for work. Though since the time change it feels more like the dead of the night. I'm trying to decide if I should do a book when we first lay in bed or if I should just do the you are going to sleep thing. We do a book now on the couch before we go up to bed right now, so I don't know if I want to mess with that. I am open to any and all suggestions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I wish I had some advice for you, but really . . . I just let my kids sleep with me until they decided they didn't want to anymore. :shrug:

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Cooper was never, ever a fan of his crib - I could rock him until he was dead asleep, but the second he hit the crib, he was wide awake! We moved him into the toddler bed at 17th months, and while it wasn't without certain drawbacks (namely, being able to get up and wander at night - most often right back into our room), it was very helpful in getting him to go to sleep and stay asleep by himself longer. I would think strongly about putting a gate at her door to limit nighttime wandering. Maybe start reading and settling down in her room as well? On a really, really good day Cooper has been know to fall asleep while reading!

We are about to start using a sticker/incentive chart for Cooper to try to keep him in his bed all night . . . and maybe even a little later than just past the buttcrack of dawn.

Good luck - stick to your guns and be consistent - she'll get it . . . and hopefully you will get a good nights sleep!

Bren said...

Well, I don't think there is any one magic answer. Each kid is different. But I will say that my little guy was worlds easier to get into his big boy bed than his crib. He still pays me a nightly visit or two and I just consistently walk him back to his bed. I figure eventually he'll get it.

Kim Airhart said...

I'm sorry you're having trouble. You must be exhausted. Hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

A couple of my friends do read a book in bed with their children and SWEAR by it..I hope you find a solution! :-)

Michelle Leigh said...

I would try the book in her bed. We do that with Annika every night. We will be moving Bianca to a bed soon too and I'm terrified. Annika was so easy, Bianca will be all around the house given the chance. Good luck and stay consistent. She'll get it eventually.