Thursday, May 26, 2011

My A-Ha Moment

Yes, Oprah went off the daytime syndicate yesterday. No, I didn't watch. But Oprah has a thing called and "aha moment" which is a moment in which something all becomes clear. After getting some advice from two different people over the last couple days, I had and aha  moment. 

A dear friend emailed me and told me to remember that while going through a divorce, we are quick to always want to put the kids first and do things for the kids. He said remember that you have to put YOU first. You have to do the things necessary to keep your sanity, health, happiness to be able to have a good environment for the kids. It is easy to lose sight of that sometimes.

Another bit of wisdom I received was, you can't control what you can't control. So simple, yet a huge obstacle in what I am going through right now. I spend so much time and energy worrying about what I cannot control, no mater how much I would like to control it. I cannot control someone else's feelings, motivations, actions, or the like. They are going to do what they are going to do and to try and control or interject in to those actions is most likely futile. So instead of banging my head against the wall and hurting myself further, I am letting go of what I cannot control. This is my new mantra, "I cannot waste time and energy on what I cannot control." Let's just hope I can keep telling myself this.

5 comments:

Kim Airhart said...

Good for you. It is a long process but you will get through this. This to shall pass.

I always say you can't control how people act you can only control how you react to people.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Good luck, Robyn. That attitude will certainly help a little ;)

Anonymous said...

You, my friend, are awesome. I am pretty sure that if I were in your position, I would still be lying on the floor throwing the World's Largest Temper Tantrum. And I love Kim's motto - it is so true! Only a couple more days until you are in your new place - I am so excited for you! Please send me your new address when you get a chance!

Denise said...

That is some great advice! You 1st!
Keep up the good work!

Edward Parker said...

Wow, what an amazing giveaway!! Thanks so much.
Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.