Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Speech Therapy

I went to one of the local grade schools yesterday to get the results of Miss Peanut Butter's speech evaluation. This was to see if she qualified for the 3 year old program which is run through the school district. Apparently she more than qualifies. She only ranked in the 23 percentile for word recognition, which was them pointing at something and her telling them what it was. The therapist said she had a really hard time understanding what she was saying. It was a little frustrating since I think she seems to be talking much better, maybe I just am able to understand her better. J seems to think this is all a waste of time. He doesn't think the home visits that we have right now are helping at all. Then I start to wonder if it is working. I don't always understand some of the exercises that she does and how they relate to having PB speak better. I told him the school program was free and he said why don't we stop the one we are doing now and just wait until school starts. He then asked who had been paying for the speech we are doing right now and I said me. He said no wonder you are out of money. I hate that this has become a money issue, I'd like to say the 75 dollars a month I pay right now was not a problem, but things are a little tight here. I had a bunch of things go wrong all at the same time. I'm going to continue through June and see how it goes.

*We just got done with another at home session and it went fairly well, even if she was on the brink from not having a nap. The therapist seemed to work on some sounds more today.


Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

I am so sorry that you have been put in this position, and wish I had some grand words of advice for you. It goes without saying that you have to do what you feel is right and the most beneficial for Miss M. - and I know that you will!

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

It is a tough position. I hope things start looking up on the money front. I hate money. It'll be nice at least that this new program is free through the school. Good luck to you both.

Denise said...

It is hard to know what is the right thing to do is! And yes the money issue sucks! But I know that you will do what ever is best for the little sweetie. Your a great mom.

Cecily R said...

My younger brother was severely speech delayed as a kid. When he started therapy at four I think my mom said he could only say about 8 consonent (sp) sounds. Early intervention was key for him. Incidentally, as an adult, he's a certified genius. :)

On the other hand, my friend's son had a pretty major speech impairment too and she waited for the school's program (money issues for her too). He's in 4th grade now and is doing really, really well.

It's hard to know what to do. Whatever you decide, I have full confidence that it is the BEST thing for her. J should know that too. :)

Kristi said...

I would just keep it up and trust that the professionals know what they're doing. Then she can start with the new teacher/therapist in the fall (for free!). From an educator's view point, it is very important to get her the help now.