Friday, June 24, 2011

Because I Can

It all started 2 or so years ago, I thought, I should start running. I would struggle doing a mile here and there. Last summer I got serious and started to try an actually log miles in hopes of losing some weight. It took most of the summer run/walking on the treadmill, but I was confident enough to run my first 5K. I kept at it plugging 3 to 3.5 miles 3-4 times a week. I ran another 5K and even got talked into doing a marathon relay in which I will have to run 5 miles. After I agreed to this my life drastically changed and I wondered if I was going to run enough to build up to 5 miles. My running has been sporadic this month of June, but I have now got back into a routine. I added some mileage on Sunday, got a shorter run in Tues. and today, I was still sore from doing Jackie Warner's DVD on Weds and hoped I could struggle through 3 miles. I got it in my head that I was just going to run and run and run. I was going to run until I couldn't. I went off my usual course after about  a mile and a half. I felt good. I ended up doing 4.56 miles. Had I know I was only a half a mile short I could have done another 5 blocks. I was very proud of myself, disappointed when I mapped it and it wasn't 5 miles, but I now know I can do it. I can run.
I may never run very fast, but I run and some days just keep running because I can.

1 comment:

Laura said...

That rocks! I need to do something...anything to get my butt moving.