Friday, January 28, 2011

Social Butterfly

My friends, if there are any out there, I am a home body. J is out at a bowling tournament for work and was begging me to go, but I just don't want to hang out with drunk people from work. Yes, I was one of those drunk people from work back in the day, but I cannot do it anymore. I would rather sit here on the computer or finishing up season 3 of Supernatural up in my scrapbook room making cards from Operation Write Home. J is a social butterfly as well as Peanut Butter. I on the other hand struggle with small talk and would rather stick hot pokers in my eyes sometimes. Once I get to know someone it is all well and good, I can find a common ground to talk, but the whole initial conversation thing kills me, which is probably why I was that drunk coworker, just be able to talk. J gets upset when I don't want to do the bar scene anymore, and has told me people think I'm antisocial, well, that may be, and honestly when I want me time away from being a mom, I would rather spend it by myself in silence sometimes. I don't want to have to drink a six pack to be able to talk. I do wish there were other social outlets for me to get over my insecurities, but I guess one would need to make friends to be able to do that, which requires that dreaded small talk. I don't know, I guess I'll just be the quiet antisocial one. 

6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm right there with you. I'd rather be at home than out with a crowd. Sometimes I wish I was more social, but I think I'm just "microsocial." I like to be around people, but not very many.

Denise said...

Hey it is ok to be YOU! I somtimes would rather stay home too and do NOTHING!!! Nothing wrong with that.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a homebody, you are definitely not alone in that boat.

CanadianMama said...

I bet it has something to do with the job too. At the end of the day you've dealt with too much bullshit!!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you! I actually dread Kingergarten pick-up because I don't like making smalltalk with the other moms and dads - I just want to pick-up my kid and come home! To each their own, right?!

Julie said...

Hi- its been ages since I've posted.

But I just had to, you have said EXACTLY what I have been thinking lately. Now that Emily is in school full time its even worse.

I think I need to get back to blogging :)