Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday: One Person

My friend and I were talking at work, as we were walking, about stuff we have changed in our lives. She was looking for a greener way to clean her toilet. She said "I know I'm only one person, I don't know if it will make a difference anyway." I went on to tell her I just ordered some seventh generation stuff, but kept that thought in the back of my mind. Does one person make a difference? I would like to believe so. I would like to think the changes I've made make a difference, sure I still drive a SUV, but I use the good light bulbs, I changed dishwasher and laundry detergents, I try not to use the plastic bags, I even bought some bags at the store today since I felt bad not remembering to bring reuse mine. I've become a better recycler. Anywho, I'm not just talking about going green in the sense of one person. It could be anything. What if one person, had influenced enough people to stop Hitler before the Holocaust? One person had to have said you know, I don't think this whole slavery thing is good. One person, I'm sure was the start of many of the great and not so great events in the world. What do you think? Is it possible for one person to make a difference?

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I believe the same thing as you do. It only takes one person to change the next one...one becomes two...two becomes 4 etc. We too have tried to be greener. Energy efficient bulbs, I clean more with vinegar and water than anything now, we recycle, we compost and most of all we instill those good habits into our children.

It all has to start somewhere and it might as well start now before we do too much irreversible damage to the Earth.

Michelle Leigh said...

Gosh, I don't know how I feel about this. I guess in theory it should work, but I just can't imagine so many people changing their ways, you know? I do things to better the world and I guess that's all I can do, right? I'd like to believe others are as responsible and my children will learn from me, so I am doing my part.

Mary said...

If you gather all of the "one persons" out there, you'll end up with a group. Therefore, I think that "one person" can make a difference. Yes, it's small, but it's at least something :)

April said...

I think one person can make a difference. It only takes one person to pass something word of mouth in order to get everyone else started. That is how fashion trends start right? So, why can't it work for other stuff.

Amy said...

my dad always said that pennies add up to dollars. having said this, yes i do think that every one person really does matter.

jessica said...

it's totally possible. but like michelle said - i also think it takes convincing more people. we're doing what we can right now... with plans to increase the number of things we do to contribute to lessening our "carbon imprint". and it's such a valuable thing to pass on to our kids.

jenny said...

hell yeah i think one person makes a difference. i am another person that tries to do some of the same things so there you go, now you have two! we all add up!

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Robyn! YES --- one person can make a difference! It's what inspires my work every day --- encouraging everyone to make a differnce --- You can make it happen! A few quotes to provide further reinforcement.....

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Zoe said...

i strongly believe that 1 person can make a difference...in anything. if 1 person shares their story, their thoughts, their dreams and 1 person hears them....look at martin luther king